Master Driver: Backing Techniques
Demonstrates the basics of backing and shows drivers how to avoid costly errors
If you want your drivers to take their skills to the next level of professional excellence and motivate them to become the safest drivers on the road, Master Driver videos are a great solution!
Available in DVD, this program covers a critical safety topic in just 16 minutes and keeps your drivers' attention with dramatic footage, dynamic graphics, 3-D animation, hazard perception challenge scenarios, and "Road Wise" commentary from seasoned transport pros.
Many drivers struggle with backing: it is the most common cause of incidents and crashes in the transport industry. Backing Techniques reviews the basic elements of backing, types of backing maneuvers, how to safely and properly execute these maneuvers, and the most common backing errors and problem areas.
Areas addressed include straight-line backing, sight-side backing, jacking and chasing, alley dock backing, blind side backing, and more.
This training program comes with the following components (select components are available for individual purchase, see order box above):
- (1) 16-minute, closed-captioned video - Available on DVD (with extra bonus features), the program combines engaging video and editing technology with expertise from industry professionals at all levels.
- (1) Trainer Bulletin - Provides background info on the topic covered and gives a brief overview of the video. Also includes a 5-question quiz and handout exercise for drivers.
- (11) Driver Skill Cards - Recap key points from the training program and include receipts for you and the driver to document training.
Master Driver: Backing Techniques - DVD Main Menu:
- Play Program – Plays entire main program.
- Chapter Selections – Allows easy access to specific subtopics for more focused training. (Items in boldface are actual menu selections.)
- Hazard Perception Challenge Question – The video opens with a backing scenario.
- Introduction – Explains that ninety percent of trucking incidents and crashes happen during backing maneuvers and that backing may be basic, but it sure isn't simple.
- Get Out And Look – Reviews the critical importance to get out and look (G.O.A.L.) before completing any backing maneuver.
- Points to Remember – Reviews safe backing guidelines that should be part of every backing maneuver.
- Straight Line Backing – Reviews the steps to successful straight line backing.
- Sight Side Backing – Reviews the steps to successful sight side backing.
- Jacking and Chasing – Reviews the steps to correctly jack and chase the trailer while backing.
- Alley Dock Backing – Reviews the steps to successful alley dock backing.
- Blind Side Backing – Reviews the precautions and steps needed for successful blind side backing, including using a spotter when possible.
- Correcting Trailer Drift – Reviews how to properly correct trailer drift while backing.
- Conclusion – Emphasizes that good backing procedures are critical to you and everyone around you, and to get out and look, take your time, and use your mirrors.
- Hazard Perception Challenge Answer – The video closes with a backing scenario.
- Review – Provides a quick way to refresh memory on key points of the program to better aid retention.
- Commentary – Additional interviews of industry professionals.
- Quiz – 10 interactive questions; offers correct/incorrect remediation to reinforce effectiveness of training.
- Message for Management – Gives introduction to the training program and topic for trainers/management.
- Previews – Offers a sneak peek at a related training program.