Master Driver: Air Brakes
Addresses the "hows" and "whys" of air brake techniques, mechanics, and operation.
If you want your drivers to take their skills to the next level of professional excellence and motivate them to become the safest drivers on the road, Master Driver videos are a great solution!
Improper brake adjustment is the #1 reason tractor-trailers go out of service. In general, today's drivers are not as mechanically inclined as those in the past, and many don't understand the basic functions of air brakes and how to inspect them. Air Brakes addresses the fundamentals of air brake techniques, mechanics, and operation, helping drivers avoid crashes, liability, and down time.
This program covers a critical safety topic in less than 20 minutes and keeps your drivers' attention with dramatic footage, dynamic graphics, 3-D animation, hazard perception challenge scenarios, and "Road Wise" commentary from seasoned transport pros.
This training program comes with the following:
- (1) 20-minute, closed-captioned video - Available on DVD, the program combines engaging video and editing technology with expertise from industry professionals at all levels.
- (1) Trainer Bulletin - Provides background info on the topic covered and gives a brief overview of the video. Also includes a 5-question quiz and handout exercise for drivers.
- (11) Driver Skill Cards - Recap key points from the training program and include receipts for you and the driver to document training.
Master Driver: Air Brakes - DVD Main Menu
- Play Program – Plays entire main program.
- Chapter Selections (access to chapters by topic)
- Hazard Perception Challenge – The video opens with a braking scenario.
- Introduction – Explains that every CMV driver should understand how air brakes work, how to keep them properly maintained, and how to use them correctly so they don't wear out as fast or fail when they're needed the most.
- How Air Brakes Work – and How to Keep them Working Properly – Discusses the two systems which comprise air brakes: a service brake system, which is controlled with the brake pedal; and a spring brake system, which operates the parking and emergency brakes.
- Service Brakes – Explains how service brakes work, brake adjustment and push rod stroke, and what inspectors check to see if brakes are in compliance.
- Spring Brakes (Parking/Emergency) – Explains how and when spring brakes work and to have qualified mechanics do any adjustments.
- Trailer Brakes – Reviews trailer service brake function.
- Anti-lock Brakes (ABS) – Reviews ABS function.
- Using Your Air Brakes – Reviews the best way to use your air brakes, daily brake inspections, and problems you want to minimize or avoid and how.
- Skid Control & Recovery – Discusses what to do when you find yourself in a skid and how to safely recover.
- Conclusion – Emphasizes that you need to be diligent about pre-trip inspections, to be smart about braking, and to get your brakes checked regularly by a certified mechanic.
- Hazard Perception Challenge Answer – The video closes with a braking scenario.
- Quick Review – Provides a quick way to refresh memory on key points of the program to better aid retention.
- Checklist – Increases understanding and retention.
- Commentary – Offers additional interviews by industry professionals.
- Bonus Hazard Perception Challenges (3) – Sharpens trainees’ skills learned in the video.
- Quiz – 10 interactive questions; offers correct/incorrect remediation to reinforce effectiveness of training.
The Basic System Requirements are: